Follow by Email

Saturday, 31 May 2014

Rome's First King

Hello everyone!

Here I am, sitting at a small desk in the venue of our Final Show in Griffith College while the sun outside it's shining and the temperature got so warm that can afford wearing a little dress with no tights and still be perfectly fine.

Some of yous might have no idea what I am talking about: Final Show? venue?
Sun in Dublin?
Well, by telling you that I actually anticipated a topic I am going to deal with in another post, just to give myself a chance to complain about the fact that I am stuck inside when all I'd like to do would be going around town and enjoying myself and my last days in Dublin.

Oops! Another anticipation!
I should hold myself much more than I am doing: there's too many news I really don't want to spoil to you.
So let's go back to sunny Dublin, almost surreal!
Tu be completely honest, I am not fully entitled to complain as going around, sipping coffee in a terrace on Grafton Street and checking out shops is all I have been doing for the past three days.
With a very significant plus value as well: my lovely friend Nico who arrived from Paris last Thursday to spend the week end in Dublin, where he himself used to study a couple of years ago.

It has been amazing to have him here again, and to see him as the last time we met was when I visited him in France last September.
At that time, he was still based in Bordeaux and we travelled together until Biarritz where I went to attend Pauline's graduation, as my dearest followers may remember.

Anyways, as summer is not officially approaching and college is officially finishing, I really want to take all the past experiences from the last couple of months and put them here in my beloved creature as a way to write down and store that part of my life that is not coming to an end.
For example, what i would like to show you today is another project that I had to do for one of my last assignments in the course of Visual Media in Griffith College.

Starting from the very beginning: when the lecturers introduced all the electives to us third year students back in September, I just thought that there were too many of them to choose.
That's why I decided to avoid the dissertation and pick as many of them as I could fit in my schedule (sleepless nights included), in order to achieve the most possible skills.
That brought me to pick as an extra elective the module of Multimedia Storytelling, where we learnt how to make simple digital animations using Abode Flash.

Sounds cool?
That's definitely what I thought when I decided to take this module, plus being charmed from the idea of learning a new task and how to use a new program.
Sounds fun?
It was, when learning the basics and then playing the animation at the end of three very long hours of class and being so proud of your little man waving hello on the screen.
Sounds easy?
It surely wasn't! That was exactly what I hadn't considered about using Flash and producing an animation.

In fact, there's so many different things to coordinate and so many different proceedings to be taken care of while doing it that you sometimes forget about your initial idea because too busy attending the necessary steps to do one thing out of a thousand.

Result?
Two simple words: time consuming.
Biggest struggle?
Time.
Biggest critique to the program?
Slow.
Yes, I thought I would have been able to easily complete my animation after finishing to edit my documentary for the Video Production module but these two weeks I had left before the deadline just weren't enough.
I mean, I managed to finish of course, and in the end I was actually pretty happy with the result, but I am telling you: if it usually feels pretty cosy being in my bed at night holding the laptop and editing photos, videos, writing on my blog, after 10 hours of editing during the day, the idea of going on after a certain hour of the day made me sick.
But I had to.
So I did.
And that's probably the reason why I highly doubt I will do it again in a long time.

I am very happy to have taken on this extra challenge and to actually manage to finish it up properly, but it was one of the assignments I've struggled the most with over the course of my entire carrier.
Digital animation is, in my opinion, a mixture of very good artistic skills (everything is always going to look better if you draw it instead of using vector images, that's why I produced all the drawings for my own animation myself), but also some serious computing skills.
Flash is not only made out of tools and presets: it has proper codes to learn and use in order to make the program do something.
I mean: that's almost computer science for what I know!
And I am still blond (again…) so that was for me just very difficult.

Another very important skill involved in this module in particular: originality.
Being it Multimedia Storytelling, the most important thing was probably choose and interesting story and tell it in a particular way in order to catch the viewer's eye first of all because of the subject.
I decided to go with an historical topic, but also a bit mythological: the legend of the foundation of Roma, the capital of my beautiful birth country.

Here it is, my animation, ready for you to be criticised and judged.
Please, be nice this time, if you look closer you can still spot some drops of my sweat on it…

Enjoy! 


And if I got you curious enough to wonder what the new updates are going to be don't forget:
stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment