Follow by Email

Wednesday, 20 November 2013

Something about Nina...

Good morning everyone!

Here I am with the last very special update from my London trip.
I must say, when Sami asked me to join him during his shooting in London last week I would have never thought that it was going to be one of the best experiences I've had until now, both professionally and not professionally.

It all started with an early (but early) flight to London on Wednesday 13th of November, at the end of which I popped at my friend Francesca's to hug my girl and have a coup of tea before what was going to be a very long day…
That also gave me the chance to plan my way toward Shoretich, a part of London where I had never been before and which I found really, really cool.
Not only because it's not far from the vibrant streets of the City, in the East side of London, but because of some kind of special feeling it has about it: the little shops with independent designers and artists showcasing their work, the photographic studios…
It's the prototype home for the prototype hipster.
Of course I love it…

The White Rabbit studios are probably the most gorgeous photographic studio I have ever been to, even better than many other I've seen in Italy and France.
Funny thing: it doesn't look like a photographic studio at all! In fact, at the entrance there's a little bar and restaurant which makes beautiful food (I don't know if it was because of my crazy hunger but let me tell you it was the most delicious food I have ever had in London!) and coffees and they have tables where to sit down.
That's probably why they are able to offer such a fantastic service to the people who rent the studios, providing a small catering for them, which is very much appreciated half way through a busy day of work. 



But apart from the amazing environment we were in, the most amazing part of that photo shoot for me was meeting so many fantastic people all at once and all in the same place!
First of all, Nina Athanasiou (http://www.nina-athanasiou.de), fashion designer whose pieces I instantly fell in love with and who I've been interviewing (coming soon!) and chatting with about her style but also about life, about her being a fashion maim and still being able to pull out a wonderful carrier which is still growing and growing…
It was such a pleasure to chat with her and she made me feel so instantly confident that it was one of the occasions where I forgot for a while that I was doing my job there.
It was just so interesting and…fun! 








The female model for the shooting was the lovely Ellie Kanght, who has been signed with Flawless Models for two years now.
She was just the perfect model as I imagine her: not a single complaint, not a moment when I saw her turning her eyes around, not a single word about what she had to to and how.
She was just a doll, but a though one as she never asked for a brake or a moment to reload, at least while a was there.
Plus, she was absolutely stunning and perfect for Nina's style.




(Nina Athanasiou and I)




Nina really is a sweetheart, and that's probably why she ends up being such a good friend of the people she works with.
For example James Gallagher, who has been the main male model for her campaign since they met at the Brooklyn Fashion Week End in 2009. 
Since then James, who is signed with BMG models and lives in New York, has appeared in Vogue UK, Tatler magazine and Marie Claire and his carrier seems to be very connected with Nina's one, in the sense that they are both helping each other toward success, which is something that I always evaluate and appreciate so much as you know: I strongly believe in team work and (as we say in Italy) a great team shouldn't be changed.
Nina seems to know that…


 


(Sami and I)





I guess I shouldn't tell you anything else from what I've already done about photographers Muhammad Sami and Karen Miley, apart from the fact that I am so incredibly proud of them and their talent and even happier to call them friends.
I cannot believe how much they have grown during the past two years and seeing Sami shooting Nina's design was very emotional for me because I know how passionate he has always been and I feel like  his hard work and strength are guiding him closer to his dream…
I'm sure you will hear much more about them, even because by winning awards (Karen has been invited to London fashion week earlier this year after winning a competition launched by Canon) and flying around Europe for their shooting they are going to come up with very interesting new projects...




Someone else I was so happy to meet at the shooting was Diego Miranda, hair stylist who happened to model as well at some point.
He is French but raised in Spain which means that we could actually communicate in three different languages…
He has been living in New York for the past six years where he has met James and they've become good friends.
It was James who thought of him while planning the London shooting with Nina, as Diego just moved to London three weeks ago, where he is now Creative Director at JOES salon (www.joessalon.co.uk) and I actually cannot wait to go there and let him be creative this time with my hair when I'll be back in London.
He has that craziness and funny attitude that I usually like to bring to the team myself but at the same time he was definitely keeping up with the glorious tradition of amazing French hairstylists, some of the best in the entire world.
J'adore!




Another great surprise was Mumtaz Anwar (www.aurasalon.co.uk), gorgeous make up artist who got in touch with Nina during London Fashion week.
Taz has been studying at the Sassoon hair stylist academy and afterwords she has been working for Mac for seven years.
One of her biggest inspirations, she told me, is Lisa Eldridge.
Her make up station was just as messy and creative as it should be and I was so happy to personally experience having my make up done from her, who was so nice to fix my face before I had to run off to Bow for my interview with fashion photographer Perou.
Little plus value to this strong but incredibly sweet woman: she also is a single mom with two kids of seven and nine years old.
Once again, the #girlspower was a must on my Instagram and I felt so proud to be a woman because of these amazing ladies...





As I said, I would struggle to define this shooting as a job.
I'm just going to define it as a wonderful experience which has given me so much and I will always remember.
Every single one of the people in that room was very precious and them together meant the premise to create something smashing.
We will see, this time it's going to be particularly hard waiting until the photographs come out.

Thank you to all of you, Nina, Sami, Karen, Diego, James, Taz e Ellie: GOOD JOB! 
I really hope to see you again asap and work together in the future!

Keep in touch for more updates!


No comments:

Post a Comment