Follow by Email

Monday, 25 March 2013

A touch of silk...


Hello everybody!

Today I am writing from Starbucks in Grafton Street as I am waiting for my friend's Sophie musical performance to start.
I must confess, I cannot wait to see her and hear her singing and at the same time I am scared of my reaction as I know I will probably be screaming and covering her in pictures so I might look like a crazy Italian mother at her daughter performance... I promise I will try to maintain some kind of control, even if of course I am super excited.

Anyway, you might wonder why am I in Starbucks at this point if the performance won't start before eight...
Well, the reason is that I am basically crashing here after spending the whole day in town.
First I met Alex, the protagonist of my documentary (more about it coming up soon...) to watch the first series of visuals I filmed in Monkstown last week, 

then, and that's why I decided to pop up this very unexpected post, I went to see this exhibition now ongoing in the City Hall, about the various cultures which were populating the places around the very famous Silk Road.



Quite random for an exhibition taking place in the City Hall of the Irish capital?

You'd be surprised to know how meaningful this topic actually is, at this time of the year.
In fact, the exhibition comes as a part of many other events hosted by the City Hall such as Music, Poetry and Dancing, all in order to take part for the first time to the celebration for Nowruz.

Nowruz, meaning "New Day" in Persian, is a traditional New Year celebration which in most of the Silk Roads countries announces the joyful awakening of nature after winter and the beginning of Spring.
All right,  I know what you all are thinking about: what spring we live in Dublin...
Very true! But that doesn't mean that in some parts of the world this period is the one in which the nature rebirth and everything becomes more colourful and warm.

For sure, this is happening now in the countries where these communities united to build up the exhibition come from. Among them are: Afghan, Azerbaijani, Baha'l, Iran, Kazakh, Kurdish and Turkish.
It is a mixture of typical features of the Middle East countries which most of others would recognise pretty easily such as the carpets, 



the Sitar, 



maybe the most famous musical instrument which symbolises somehow the Middle Eastern mythology and history,



(no, it's not an Italian Mandolino...).
But also many other not-so-well-known things such as typical costumes and jewels,



 but also ornaments of various type.



The most interesting thing for me, when I approach an exhibition of this genre, featuring art from a culture so different from my one, is to actually see what is art for these countries, 



which can come as something very different from what is art for me, 



born and raised surrounded by frescoes, exquisite paintings and sculptures and classical Architecture.



But also, I always try to let these objects speak to me, in order to see how I react to them, if they say something to me, or not.
In this case I really liked the jewels and the musical instruments, but I must say that I happened to get distracted by the surroundings...literally.



In fact, believe it or not, it was the first time for me inside of the City Hall.



I don't know why it has never came into my mind to take a look inside, probably because I know I have still quite a lot of time to spend in Dublin, which is the worst feeling to have when you have to choose if to do something now or later: the dear old procrastination.



But also probably because I do feel at home here yet, so that it makes me feel strange to think about sight seeing in my city.



Oh well, this time I did it so let's just stop thinking about it for now and take a look at the pictures I took inside of the building.



Quite stunning indeed...



Cool thing: when I was about to go out, one of the guardians told me they had already locked the side door (seriously, 5pm?!) so that I could use the main door.



It was a nice feeling to go down the stairs with the city in front of me from that very tall angle...



Nice productive day!
I wanted to do one thing and I happened to find out much more...
Also, I liked the fact that I was by my self.
I don't know why, but every time I start wondering around I find something new that I wouldn't expect but which really makes my day.
I should really start finding some time to get lost around, because there is nothing that makes you feel more at home.
It's like getting close to the city, getting to know it, until it decides to show you her deeper sides, bite by bite.
Maybe, I already found my own way to sight see, without even knowing...


Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment