Follow by Email

Sunday, 27 January 2013

The sewing paradise...

Good morning to all of my followers!

Here with go with the end of another week, which was a pretty good one for many reasons...
But before showing you some updates from these days with the snapshots, I'd like to ask you a little question:

if you could choose the perfect way to spend a Saturday afternoon, what would you say?

Well, if it was me one of the greatest ways I could imagine to spend a few hours on a very rainy and windy Saturday would be closed in a room with loads of beautiful fabrics and clothes, a sewing machine, some friends and a warm cup of tea.
If the room was a lovely attic with wood floor and super cosy decorations located in the heart of Dublin, then it would be absolutely fantastic.



Sounds like a dream?
Believe it or not, someone gave me the chance to make it come true, thanks to the Sewing Workshop organised yesterday from OM Diva.



We spend four hours in that lovely attic, where a table had been set and sewing machines provided.
We just had to bring ourselves and one meter and a half of a fabric of our choice.



(And of course, 65 euros which were the fee for the class, the materials provided, tea, croissaints and Prosecco...).

Sean Byrne, professional fashion designer and couturier (www.seanbyrnecoture.com) was teaching us the basics of how to run a sewing machine, 



from how to set it up to the various stitches you can use.



What is better than someone who is not only professional but also very creative about using the tools to teach their rules and secrets?



That's why even if I must say Sean was incredibly patient with me I was even happier as I went there with Louise, who all of you my followers already know very well as we have been following her and her brand pretty closely.



Sitting next to her on at the sewing table I could benefit of her help as well, which was basic if I have to be honest... 

Yes, I got the machine stuck not one, not even two but three times!
But I guess it's justifiable as it was the very first time I was using it properly.



And how great it is!
Despite the good amount of attention required to go straight when sewing with the machine, my hand sewing will never be as precise, nice and strong as the one done with it.

Also, Sean and Lou told us some tips such as how to block completely the sewing line when you start it, which you do by reversing the course of the stitches for one or two of them, and then reverse again and keep going until the end.
That's basically when I got the machine stuck as you can imagine.



Anyway...
as I said we needed to bring one meter and a half of fabric.
Because of that, right before getting to class we popped in Murphy & Sheehy which is in front of OM Diva to get some nice fabrics which we would have used to make our cushion cover, the final goal of the class.



Lou chose a fabulous and colourful fabric which looked like a kind of patchwork but made out of magazine covers or ads...



While I completely fell in love with this pastel colour fabric with illustrations of flowers, chino lanterns and colibri' birds on it...



In the class, after trying the machines and figuring out how to actually use them int he correct way by sewing on a random piece of fabric Sean gave us, we had a cup of tea.
After warming up a bit and eating some cookies and croissaints, we started the actual process of making the cushion cover.
We were provided sample paper, pencils, rulers, everything that we needed to take the measurements for our pillow and cut the sample out of the paper.



Sean suggested us a size and shape for our cushion, but someone who felt more expert went for something different, like Lou who make a very nice pillow case instead of a small cushion cover.



Anyway... once we understood which was the structure, cut out the fabric following the paper sample and found out how to actually put the pieces together (I made a mistake, again and I had to open my sewing line and do it one the other side of the pillow as I had basically cut one of my lanterns out the first time I did it...), we started sewing.

It was so much fun.
I must say, it's such a relaxing and enjoyable thing to do, not only because of the sewing itself, but also because it makes you feel so proud when you then hold in your hands the final result if your work and you look at that perfectly straight (well, it should be perfectly straight at least...) line of small stitches which look exactly the same.



I'm pretty happy of my cushion cover, and I couldn't wait to go home and put it on my bed, where it has already found its place.



Without even realising it, I picked a fabric which actually goes very well with my other pillows.
I also couldn't help but go checking the difference between the one I sewed yesterday and the pillow case I hand sewed last year.



Apparently they don't look very different.
But if it took me three days to make the first one, yesterday I sewed the little one in less than 15 minutes.




Also, I could easily say which one would be more likely to survive an eventual pillow fight...

What would you say? ;)

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment