Follow by Email

Wednesday, 10 October 2012

Emily 's Wo(r)ld

Ahi ahi ahi my dearest,

If during the summer I've been giving you reasons to be proud of me, now that the Fall routine is back on track I know this post has been making you wait a lot...

...but the hope is the last one to die, as we always say in Italy, and as usual I AM BACK writing on my almost-not-anymore-a-baby blog.

I've been in Dublin for a month now and as it happened last year, everything seems to catch my attention, so that I get many (many, many...) ideas for my blog, but the time to make them into practise seems to run away faster than ever...

Coming back to the fierce city for my second year of college I was very curious about the people I was going to meet...

...in fact, one of the things I love the most about Dublin is the fact that it's an absolute melting pot for some of the most inspiring people I've met, and last year most of my posts and my ideas for this baby blog came directly from the people who surrounded me, and from their own inspiration and talent which contributed to develop my own one.

Last year, as I said, I met a lot of talented people, in many various fields and this year maybe the people are different, coming from different parts of the world, but the amount of talent they carry it's not inferior.

I know, I know, you want the DETAILS: who are these people?

Well, I am going to introduce them to you by telling you about their projects and works but also about the project we are carrying on together, in order to give you a chance to appreciate them and what they do.
Maybe, they will inspire you as they are doing with me...

I'd like to start with Emily Wold, not only because I've been looking at her and at what she does for almost a month now, and all I could think about was that I wanted to publish her here and let all my followers see how incredibly talented she is.

There is another reason! It's a little bit of a romantic cliche, I have to admit it...

Do you remember which one was my very first post in my at-the-time-totally-new-born blog?
I've been telling you about another Emilie (written in a different way as well...) who was and still is a very talented photographer.
So, in order to celebrate my very first Dublin post of this academic year, which is also the second year for blogging for me, I'd like to remember the very beginning with the same name: Emily, which brought me good luck last year.

I hope it's going to be another successful season for both you, my readers, and me, which is going to bring us new ideas and interesting subjects to write and read about...

But let's go down to the topic (I'm getting a little too emotional now...).

Emily Wold.

She is a funny pretty American girl, who was born in Wisconsin but has made her way to Chicago in order to study at the Columbia College, which is one of the biggest Art schools in USA.
Art, as we have understood, trying to define it, can mean a lot of things.
We have been talking about photography, painting, street painting, fashion, music and more...
But thanks to Emily, today we are going to take a look at what is still an undiscovered area for us: VIDEO.

Emily has a passion for Video making, which is absolutely genuine, as it started out as a hobby.
In fact, she has been making videos since, middle school, both for school projects of just trying to find a way not to be bored hanging out with her friends.



It's when she started College in Chicago that she actually realised that her passion could have became a profession.
She is also very passionate about music, and most of her videos are proper music videos, which she makes for fun, especially during the summer.
To inspire her, a lot of her friends back in Wisconsin are musically inclined, and she likes to make videos of them while listening to their gigs.




I f you look at the earliest videos, it's clear how TALENT plays a topical role in her video making, but looking at the more recent ones, we can also see how much she has been developing her skills since she started the Art School.
In fact, it has given her the chance to experiment with something else which she ended up loving: ANIMATION.
And in particular with finding artsy ways to make it.
What caught her attention the most was STOP MOTION ANIMATION.
It's a technique which consists in draw things first and then take pictures of them.
The pictures are them put together in order to create an animated figure.
Of course, her work is totally self made: she is both the artist, the photographer and the director of her videos, which sometimes take her a long time to be done...

...but of course if you look at them you cannot help but think: IT'S SO WORTH!
They are amazing...



Another thing she likes to do it combining various mediums: for example draws and video footage all together, which creates a sort of surreal feeling, but it comes out so incredibly effective and communicating, also because as I said at the beginning, her inspiration is absolutely genuine and comes from things she is really in contact with.
But also, sometimes she is just able to make everything around her look artistic and inspiring, also a normal afternoon hanging out in Wisconsin:





For us, which in this blog are trying to consider as art everything which is able to give us an emotion and make us feel inspired, Emily and what she does are just the fulfilling of our theory.


But apart from her own pleasure creating these pieces of art by making art itself, 
this talent could not pass by without being noticed.

Because of that, someone came to give a all new range of possibilities: Tim, the singer and guitarist of The Hot Sprockets, an Irish band which Emily absolutely loves and for whom she has been doing art works and music videos.
In particular one night some time ago, she couldn't sleep and she decided to make a video for them at 2.30 am.
Then, she posted it on YouTube as any other one of her videos, but it was Tim who found it on her  channel (which is called emilyeffect), loved it and contacted Emily.

The whole band liked her work so much that they sent her stickers, pins, two albums and a letter.
Meant to be?
Probably, because after that great satisfaction which came from being appreciated for something she loves to do, she felt more inspired than ever, and she answered with some draws of Tim, the band and herself.
She has also made a video while drawing Tim's portrait, and after The Hot Sprockets posted it on their FaceBook page, many other bands started to contact Emily in order to ask her for similar types of art works and videos for them.



This is something which makes the difference for her, because as she said: "In the States we focus so much on getting a job that is not always likely that you're going to school for what will actually be what you end up working as when you get out of college...".

And what is better than turning our passions and interest in something which would eventually pay our bills?
Probably nothing, also because it means practise these skills which sometimes come out of us as a natural inclination, but which could always get better and bring us to a further level.

"The only trouble" says Emily "in the business side of things. I need to learn more about charging them for my work because I don't know anything about it yet".

As I said...EVENTUALLY pay our bills....

So, now that you know about Emily and her work; now that you've learned about her incredible experience, about this Irish band who contacted her from the other side of the world, thanks to the power of Internet and the media which make everyone connected for real; now that you know how she found this great opportunity which is coming as a consequence of her great talent...

...now I'm asking you again: was it meant to be?

Well, check her out yourself: she in in Dublin right now, 

and I'm sure we will hear about her a lot... ;)


(Chiara, Emily and I listening to gigs at Sweeny's on Arthur's day)


xo








1 comment: