Follow by Email

Sunday, 29 January 2012

Grace's precious world...

Let's start with something totally new: jewelry.
Yes, we've never talked about that, but I strongly believe that as everything that comes from a great idea of the creator and has a font of inspiration, we could call it art as we did before with many other subjects which aren't used to be defined in that way...



But today we are not talking about the usual precious jewelry, made of perils and diamonds and the most brilliant stones you've ever seen...
We are talking about something very special and with which I feel very close and connected, as I've seen the artist developing its concept and building new creations since she started creating this new form of art.



I'll explain everything to you from the beginning, as I am so excited about this post that I know I'm not going to be clear if I don't struggle for that.
As you all know, I am Italian.
I live in the North East of Italy, in a little town called Vicenza, very closed to the amazing Venice.
Here lives also Grazia Fortuna Ward, who began her carrier as a brilliant painter, before discovering her love for jewelry.
The destiny wanted her to be the mother of one of the people I love most in the entire world, my friend Anna, and because of that, being close to her since we were small girls, I've seen her art developing and changing.




She started with Cernit, a strange material which seems like a sort of pongo, whose texture is a little stronger and which can be found in many different colours.
She started as a joke, making earrings and bracelets for us at Christmas time, or in case of a particular party, but as a perfectionist, she went on and on getting better and better, until what was a sort of hobby before became a field of her work, with amazing unique pieces that are now sold all around Italy but also in South Africa and USA, starting from 200 euros each.





Cernit was substituted with another pastry made of different sands and pigments to create new elegant colours.
Pearls and swarovski stones started to appear in her creations, which became more and more precious, until no one would remember them to be bijoux.
Grazia, or Grace as we all affectionately call her because of her marriage with the funniest American man in town (especially when he performs Italian venetian dialect with his Yankee accent...), has found an undiscovered field of the market, and she is making it her prerogative, almost her propriety.



Her idea of creating a new kind of jewelry, that is not classic, neither cheap, but cool, chic and original, will bring her for sure in all the best fashion magazines, as it has already happened when she appeared in Vogue Italia last autumn.



What is more appreciable of her art is not just the beauty of her creations, which demonstrate her exceptional taste for fashion, but the fact that it was her idea.
She was the first one who did that, and no one would imitate her, because she created something which is too recognisable to be imitated.
Her jewels have her signature marked on them, indelibly, and that's why a part for her incredible manual skill which allows her to create incredibly precise small decorations, what we have to award is, first of all, her originality, her uniqueness, her genius.

Go on Grace, I can't wait to see the new collection!    

1 comment:

  1. I also know this artist and I love her. Her jewels are incredible and I like them more and more.
    I'm agree: jewelry is a form of art, a splendid one.
    I think that this artist has revolutionized jewels production substituting classic jewels with something original and chic. She has created a new style.
    I'm also waiting for the new collection!!

    Compliments, Grace, on your uninterrupted creativity!

    Ariel

    ReplyDelete